Monday, December 12, 2011

New to NCMS Ms. Emery

This edition of the “New to NCMS” is Ms. Kayla Emery, (Twitter @kemery1124) grade 8 mathematics teacher on the Aviator Team.  She technically is in her first year as a full time teacher even though this is her third year at NCMS.  Ms. Emery spent her first two years as a full time substitute teacher and patiently waited for her opportunity to come as a full time teacher.  We are happy to see that everything worked out for her and for our students.  Ms. Emery has created a welcoming and productive learning environment in her classroom.  She regularly provides her students with positive and constructive feedback and acknowledges them when they meet her expectations.  We look forward to seeing the different types of innovations that Ms. Emery introduces in the classroom.  

                         Photograph taken by NCMS 7th grader Eren Semonik

1. Can you tell us a little about your background?

Immediately after graduating high school I began studying at Rhode Island College to obtain a bachelors degree in Elementary Education. About mid way through my studies at RIC I decided to add on an extra semester of studies to obtain my middle school endorsement in math.  After graduating from RIC with my bachelor’s degree I was lucky enough to get a job teaching 8th grade here at NCMS. I have returned to school again at Rhode Island College, working on my Masters degree in Reading education.

2. Why did you become a teacher?

Ask anyone in my family and they will tell you this is the only job I ever wanted! It's a great feeling when you’re teaching someone something and you see the ''light bulb'' come on. I could not wait to get into the classroom for that reason! I just love to teach. I remember back when I was in elementary school my teacher used to let me take home all the extra worksheets from class. I used to make my sister play school with me for hours ... I was always the teacher of course!

3. What appealed to you about NCMS?

The first time I walked into NCMS I knew it was a school I wanted to be a part of! It reminded me of the middle school I went to. Everyone was very welcoming and there was a real sense of community from the minute I walked in.  I love working at NCMS because it is a smaller middle school and I feel that allows the faculty and students to build better relationships with each other, ultimately resulting in stronger teaching and better learning. J


4. Tell us something interesting.

Two years ago I become a teacher leader for People to People Student Ambassador Programs and it has truly changed my life!  I work with amazing students from across the state of Rhode Island and the rest of the United States. We work together to learn about new cultures and build relationships across the world. Last summer I was lucky enough to travel to Australia with a group of 20 student ambassadors from Rhode Island.  We had a blast and even got to go scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef! Talk about a hands-on learning experience!! This summer I am traveling to Italy, Greece, and Sicily with a new group of student ambassadors from Rhode Island. I can't wait to see what this new adventure brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment